Heroes and Armies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The game before H&A

2 posters

Go down

The game before H&A Empty The game before H&A

Post  DanielPlainview 2016-05-02, 20:37

I want to share with you some exciting info about the very old version of H&A. Thanks to Ace.Ventura for the map file.

As you probably know, original H&A was developed by guy with nickname KubriK. I found mirror of his website on web.archive.org: https://web.archive.org/web/20060516132116/http://www.kubrik.tk/
This a Hero/AOS map with army upgrades and the possibility to build defensive structures. Heroes can reach level 40 and have standard spells each upgradeable to level 10, ultimates to level 6.

There's an orc and a human side. You have to destroy the enemy castle to win the game.

This map was a long time and uncountable versions ago "Orcs vs Humans". I changed the name of the map, because a lot of people confused it with "Humans vs Orcs" - after answering hundred times "can i load heroes?". Now it has balance, far more features and a lot quality triggers.

Why another AOS without really new features?

I balanced this map with a special aim. In most other AOSes you know after 5 or 10 minutes which side will win, even if it takes another 30 min to end. Heroes & Armies is different. There are a lot of measures for more close and exciting matches:

Heroes have 40 and spells 10 levels. Each level improves the spell, but not as much as usually. When one team is in average 3 levels ahead with their heros, it doesn't make so much differnce, that the other team has only poor chances left. And you know (e.g. footy) that those heroes will continue to level faster than the others, because they can kill far more units and heroes. This effect is damped.
On some maps units and defensive structures get totally unimportant after a certain time and become only a gold source (e.g. AOS GT). It's too easy to siege if a game lasts long. H&A provides upgrades for the spawn, additional towers and you can't overupgrade your heroes with tomes and items easily.
Unlike nearly all other AOSes the units don't target the other side's castle. It won't be overrun automatically when a barrack dies. So here are really chances to turn around the game. Another feature is the "strike back". When the castle is seriously attacked the first time, a one-time defense force will initiate another chance for the team in distress.
Made it noobie (to the map) friendly. You will always have noobies in most of your games, so they must have the chance to get a fast overview to play effective and give them no reason to leave. This is important, if you don't want to wait 20 games until you have a exciting one, because of leavers and total bad Allies. e.g. ToB has a very confusing landscape and paths on the first try, or like DotA everything's custom - you need minutes to read all the stuff, items etc. On this map everythings near to default and you'll get fast oriented. There's also a short ingame Tutorial/Introduction.
Note that the map was called "Orcs vs Humans", and later it was renamed to known for us "Heroes & Armies".

Fortunately, Ace had the map "Orcs vs Humans" from Jun 22, 2005. I didn't even play WC3 on the Battle.net that time. This map had no special commands, sounds, there was no -fight command. Interesting fact: there were 2 kinds of barracks for regular units and knights/taurens.

Interesting stuff:

Screenshots:

You can download map here: http://heroesandarmies.com/maps/ovh_2005.w3x

DanielPlainview
Dope
Dope

Back to top Go down

The game before H&A Empty Re: The game before H&A

Post  J.P.P.P.P.P 2016-10-05, 08:29

The original version was fun for the time - but it was very unbalanced & luck based.

Originally the map was partially balanced by clan OvH. But Scooby (Ace) & Omni really did great work to balance the map further in order to turn it into HnA. The original edits were under the name of the Clan at the time: Clan oMg and included some extra features including the famous -ganja command, which was the only sound command in the original versions of HnA.

There was quite a bit of history to the map before clan Dope.

J.P.P.P.P.P
Forum King
Forum King

Back to top Go down